India is known as the treasure-trove of spices and it has diverse culinary traditions. Each region and area in India has its own food menus and ingredients to cook. Some may be unique to a place while the rest are shared throughout the country; especially the spices. The spices can be added to the dish as a whole or blended in powder form. Selected spices are blended in right proportion make Garam Masala in India where ‘Garam’ meaning hot and ‘Masala’ meaning spices. It is commonly used in India and other South Asian cuisines. Some typical Ingredients for a Garam Masala are bay leaves, mace, Cinnamon, cloves, brown Cardamom, black Pepper Corn, nutmeg, green cardamom, poppy seed, star anise and cumin seed. Garam Masala not only enhances the food taste but also adds a fine aroma to it. Garam Masala in India is added in a very limited quantity to any curry/dish. Each spice in Garam Masala has a unique medicinal property, and this spices mix can act as natural preservatives, leading to a higher nutritional content in stored food. And the most beneficial ingredient in Garam Masala is cumin seed.
Cumin seed is a popular spice in many Indian, Mexican and Middle Eastern dishes and it’s one of the most popular household spices around. Cumin is one of best as overall wellness tonic and is used to treat a large variety of ailments, as it is nutrient-rich, is thought to boost the metabolism and the function of the digestive system, and has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Cumin not only makes your metabolism work more quickly, but it also cuts down on your cravings. Hence, it provides following health benefits.
- It acts as a weight loss remedy. Women who incorporated cumin into their diet while leading a healthy lifestyle decreased their body fat percentage by 14.64% while those who just led a healthier lifestyle only decreased theirs by 4.91%.
- It helps in fighting insomnia. Cumin seeds are a highly effectual treatment for insomnia. To use cumin to help and fight insomnia mix half a teaspoon of ground cumin with a mashed banana after dinner.
- Provides aid to digestion and acidity. The spice appears to stimulate the liver to secrete more bile, which helps in the breakdown of fats and the absorption of nutrients, leading to healthier digestion. In the study, cumin increased bile secretion in the rats by 71%.
- It helps in reducing cholesterol, stress and enhances memory. Acc to the study we know that cumin extract helps to reduce pancreatic inflammatory markers, as well as reducing total cholesterol and triglycerides. The cumin also inhibits stress-induced biochemical changes in a dose-dependent manner. Memory and cognition were also found to be dose-dependent.
- It controls diabetes. If a person is suffering from diabetes then he can be given cumin in addition to the consumption of the best 14 foods to control diabetes as it has hypoglycemic properties that aid to reduce high blood sugar levels.
Now we can conclude that cumin seed in India is quite useful element of spices but we should also see quality before buying. Best quality product provides best benefits. So if you are looking for cumin seed then the trusted brand in India is Shalimar. For further details please visit company’s website http://shalimarindia.co.in